The following titles were selected for Books at Berlinale and will be presented on 20 February in Berlin (English title / original title; in alphabetical order of the presenting organisations):
• „A Relative Good“ / „Un bien relativo“ (Teresa Cardona, Spain), A.C.E.R. Agencia Literaria, Spain
• „Aleksandra“ (Lisa Weeda, Netherlands/Ukraine), De Bezige Bij, Netherlands
• „The Art of Losing“ / „L’art de perdre“ (Alice Zeniter, France), Editions Flammarion, France
• „The Warrior“ / „Die Kriegerin“ (Helene Bukowski, Germany), Elisabeth Ruge Agentur, Germany
• „These Streets“ (Luan Goldie, UK), Eve White Literary Agency, UK
• „The Storm is Coming“ / „Familien Brattbakk“ (Julia Kahrs, Norway), Gyldendal Agency, Norway
• „This Is Not Miami“ (Fernanda Melchor, Mexico), Literarische Agentur Michael Gaeb, Germany
• „Why Can’t I Write“ / „Zakaj ne pišem“ (Dijana Matković, Slovenia), Mladinska knjiga Založba, Slovenia
• „The Light Behind Us“ / „Das Licht im Rücken“ (Sandra Lüpkes, Germany), Rowohlt Medienagentur, Germany
• „Sonny, Inside“ / „Zo hoog de zon stond“ (Simone Atangana Bekono, Netherlands), Singel Uitgeverijen, Netherlands
• „Virginia Hill“ (Peter Blaikner, Austria), Thomas Sessler Verlag, Austria
Across a broad spectrum of genres, the selected books portray the most diverse places, topics and issues. For example, in the harrowing Ukrainian family saga "Aleksandra", the protagonist tells the story of her grandmother and shows how this woman's individual life is interwoven with the history of the Donbass region from which she comes and with European history itself. From Slovenia, this year's Guest of Honour at Frankfurter Buchmesse, "Why Can't I Write" " (in the original: "Zakaj ne pišem") by Dijana Matković has been selected.
On the same day, as part of the Books at Berlinale initiative, a matchmaking event will also take place at which selected representatives of publishers and film agencies will meet film producers in individual meetings.
“Books at Berlinale” will take place on 20 February as part of the Berlinale Co-Production Market (18–22 February). Film producers who are active or interested in the field of literary adaptations, as well as publishers and literary agents, are invited to register for participation before 14 February via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Representatives of the press, please also register by e-mail.
More infos: www.efm-berlinale.de/en